Wednesday, September 29, 2010

These are a Few of My Favorite Things - September 2010 Edition

Since there is one more day until October, and my Thursday is booked (if I had any free time this Thursday, I'd be watching Vampire Diaries and going to peruse MAC's VV collection instead of blogging), it's now or never for getting this month's favorites in! Aside from the perfume, I'm sure most of you are savvy enough to have heard of or tried the rest. But you haven't heard my opinion of them, and that, dear readers, counts for something I hope! I'll break everything down, starting clockwise from bottom left:

1. Murad Clean Scene Gaga for Glow
This is some part of Sephora's skin care challenge promotion they are running. I honestly know nothing about that, I just really needed a new exfoliato
r since my MAC Volcanic Ash is nearly gone. I've unfortunately had large pores since age 14, and have been fooled by the conventional wisdom that the bigger the pore, the bigger the exfoliating granule needed. Not so! Large exfoliating beads only end up cutting me. That's why I love this exfoliator, the beads are fine and effective! And don't get me started on the scent...it's a heavenly candy store in the form of a facial scrub. Seriously, some people get off smelling glue, you may find me gently rocking back and forth in a corner smelling the fruity, saccharine scent of this great product.

2. Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse
Never would I have thought that a drugstore foundation would be my holy grail. Especially from a brand that doesn't exactly have blockbuster products (and no, you insidious green and pink mascara tube, do not count). As I mentioned previously, I have large pores, which leads to large oil problems. Within a typical day I blot myself 5 tim
es or more. Since I've started using this foundation, I've noticed I only need to blot twice! This isn't completely a match made in makeup heaven though, because this line is seriously lacking in shade selection. 00 is too light for me, 01 is too pink, and the shade I'm currently using, 02, reads slightly orange. So no "Goldilocks" just right shade yet.

3. Two Faced Shadow Insurance
Yes, I know mentioning this is the equivelent of saying I just discovered a great new makeup brand named MAC! But hear me out - I included it, because not only does it work amazingly well, it also challenges yet another tightly held conv
ention by the community - namely, that Urban Decay Primer Potion is best for oily lids and Too Faced Shadow Insurance for dry. Well, if you've been reading this post in its entirety, you know by now that I have icky, oily skin. And guess what? UDPP does nada for me! TFSS on the other hand has a success rate of 98%. A normal weekday has me at work for a full day plus 3 hours of school, and with TFSS, my eyeshadow truly does stay put all day.

4. Tokyo Milk fragrance in Kabuki



I discovered this at a local independent beauty shop near my work that was selling them for 25% off. They only had a few choices, but I was immediately attracted to this because I've been a bit of a Japanophile since I was a teen. The main components of this fragrance are sugared grapefruit, lychee and sweet jasmine. What else can I say? It smells like it sounds (though I'm not sure how Kabuki fits with the theme - I've actually seen a Kabuki play and it was one of the most boring, uncomfortable experiences ever), and I'm not one to get into top and bottom notes. Because it is a relatively cheap perfume, it's alcohol based and fades within a few hours. Someone told me that they sell these at Anthropologies, and they also have a website. I'm thinking of trying a new one out, but maybe after the major MAC collections - unfortunately my money is already spoken for!

No comments:

Post a Comment