Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Snoozefest: The Sephora 2010 Holiday Catalog

I received my new Sephora Holiday catalog today, and I have to say it was extremely underwhelming. Not necessarily in terms of the products advertised (though this one did seem to focus very heavily on their own brand, even more so than usual), but in its general theme and choice of makeup colors.

To have a better understanding of what I'm talking about, let's travel back to the year 2007, when they published a truly marvelous, and in my opinion, collectible catalog:If you remember this one at all, it was very whimsical in nature, and each model had a very distinct theme. A large array of makeup shades were showcased.

For example, there was the Sorceress...

And the Snow Sprite...

...to name just a few. Both extremely love and unique, right? Well to contrast, let's now take a look at some images from this year's boring offerings:

Bright eyeshadow, red lips.
Ibid.
Ooh, now we threw some glitter on the red lips - that's variation, right?
And now the glitter is on the eyes, wheeeeeee!!

And seriously, red lips for holiday? How revolutionary. I can understand showcasing them in one image or so, but it is seriously repeated ad naseum throughout the whole catalog. I'll happily recycle this thing in the morning after I use it to put myself to sleep tonight.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's more of a throw back to simplicity and tradition. With all the uncertain times about us all the retailers are falling back on it, we're more apt to buy something if its nostalgic to us. And there's nothing more traditional than a red lip at holiday! But I have to agree the eye make up is pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, that probably is the rationale behind it - in fiscally tight times, everyone tends to go back to what is safe. Maybe I'm also biased because I'm much more of a coral lip kind of gal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I came across your blog while searching for NARS Melusine swatches... but I had to comment on this entry first! I totally agree. The past issues were artsy--- but this one's not quite artsy... and yet the looks are somewhat reminiscent of crazy lady looks (blue eyeshadow plus red lip??) =)

    ReplyDelete